Northwest Knitter

Hi! I am am a 4th year medical student, sailor, and knitter in Seattle, WA. If all goes as planned, knitting and playing with boats will keep me sane while in school! Recently, I have gotten woo'ed by "going green" and am doing my best to improve and consume/waste less...

Monday, April 10, 2006

koolaid dyeing part deux

This time, we assembled a few more troops for our koolaid dyeing madness. Inspired by a lovely description of a warping board courtesy of Scout, we put some quick-grip C-clamps around my kitchen table to set our yarn up for different length stripes.

This was quite a workout! It took us several hours to set up all of our skeins. Next, we soaked our yarn in slightly soapy water like last time. Meanwhile, we mixed up our jars of color with a splash of vinegar and distilled water.

Some of us chose to use the microwave, others used the stove, and the crock-pot was even pressed into service to accomidate the striping storm overtaking my kitchen...

Meanwhile, a few other methods were tried, including drizzling color on with a syringe.

After most or all of the color had exhausted, we gently rinsed the yarn, and hung it up to dry...

Now my whole house smells like fruity goodness! I can't wait to see how it knits up! We were pretty tired when it was all over...

1 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those colors are phenominal! I need to try immersion dyeing and the warping technique for self striping yarn - this might be the post that gets me to do it sooner rather then later!

(our school had the paid "models" for the breast/pelvic/rectal/prostate exams too, and though I was incredibly nervous before doing the exam, I felt much more confident with pts this year.)

I have much more to ramble on and on and on about, but will need to return when my brain feels less like mush. It's wonderful to find another knitting med student!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home