Northwest Knitter

Hi! I am am a 4th year medical student, sailor, and knitter in Seattle, WA. If all goes as planned, knitting and playing with boats will keep me sane while in school! Recently, I have gotten woo'ed by "going green" and am doing my best to improve and consume/waste less...

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

quick update

Well, school has been a bit of a wild ride the last couple of weeks. I finally get to come up for air after a particularly difficult exam! Somehow, I think I may not become a neurologist...

We are learning how to do physical exam this quarter as well, and we have finished the "easy" parts (head and neck). This week is our first week of more "sensitive" material, as we learn the breast exam. In two weeks, we have paid volunteers coming to teach us how to do a rectal exam. Honestly, these are the parts of medical school that you forget to think about when you are in the scramble to apply to school! I had never actually thought about the process of learning to examine other people's bodies -- it just seemed like you would graduate knowing how! I have a lot of respect for people that would submit themselves to teaching a medical student how to examine their intimate areas, and it adds a layer of seriousness to our program of studies that was missing when we were doing only classroom/lecture learning.

Anyway, on to knitting... Last night we finished balling up the yarn from our dyeing sessions, and it was a bit more trouble than expected. Pictures to come soon. I learned a few lessons about keeping the fibers in order to be able to untangle them later! I am nearly done with all the socks that are Christmas presents from 2005... I just have one and a half pairs left, then I can send them out to the family!

Weekend after next, Erin is taking me to the Seattle Knitting Expo, where I hear there will be a great marketplace with some hard-to-find yarns. Looking forward to that trip! I promised myself I get to buy some new yarn for my birthday if I can wait until then. It was brutal to watch Felicia post so many beautiful colorways at the Sweet Shop and not let myself try to get any of them, but I feel like poor students can't justify increasing their stash QUITE so fast... :-)

Oh well... time to get back to the Microbiology studying...

1 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Liisa said...

Hi,
knitting blogs are the most popular ones in Finland. So being, I was not surprised at all when opening this blog of yours.

I know something about studying to become a doctor. My roommate did that. These days, living in a city with a medical school, I sometimes am the object studied. See what I mean?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home