Northwest Knitter

Hi! I am am a 4th year medical student, sailor, and knitter in Seattle, WA. If all goes as planned, knitting and playing with boats will keep me sane while in school! Recently, I have gotten woo'ed by "going green" and am doing my best to improve and consume/waste less...

Saturday, April 22, 2006

it's good to learn a new skill...

Yesterday, towards the end of neuro class, I was startled to discover that I was finally knitting without looking at my project! I have been reading other med student blogs, enviously noticing when they mention studying and knitting at the same time... I had never been able to keep from dropping stitches before, but it worked so well yesterday! Hooray! I had been working on this lovely blue sock for my aunt (yarn brand unknown -- bits from the stash):
Speaking of sitting in class, I have to congratulate our Microbiology professor for his fine work in entertaining a tired group of med students on a Friday evening. To learn about gonnorhea using Frank Zappa's great song "Why does it hurt when I pee?" as a case study was a great way to end the week. *grin*

As promised, here are some pictures of our lovely balled yarn (we had to do it in two batches):
The lower-left ball that looks a bit like a flower was an unfortunate winding accident -- the yarn got stuck under the ball at the same time as the swift jammed, popping the ball of yarn off and across the room! I tried to jam it back onto the winder, resulting in this interesting pattern...

An interesting kool-aid discovery, for those of you interested in trying it: I was able to mute some of the "kool-aid fluorescence" by adding a sprinkle of grape to a number of colors. The grape looks very muddy on it's own, and didn't mix well with other colors when I used more than about 1/4 package of it. But just a sprinkle really made reds and greens look beautiful!

2 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I did check your blog, too. Knitting blogs are quite a rage in Finland, too - there are over 200 listed knitting blogs on the Finnish blog list. Somehow knitting and blogging go well together - and why not, knitters tend to have constant feed of new stuff to show to other knitters. Same goes with board games; you might want to check my board game blog at http://www.melankolia.net/gameblog/, that's my most extensive writing in English.

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me two years of graduate school, but I can finally knit and read at the same time...as long as it's just simple stockinette/garter stitch knitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home