Northwest Knitter

Hi! I am am a 4th year medical student, sailor, and knitter in Seattle, WA. If all goes as planned, knitting and playing with boats will keep me sane while in school! Recently, I have gotten woo'ed by "going green" and am doing my best to improve and consume/waste less...

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

When life feels hectic...

It is very easy to take on the stress of the people around you. In med school, there is plenty of stress to take on if you allow it! Usually I step back when it gets overwhelming and knit for a while, but for some reason I forgot my knitting at home today... Fortunately, I remembered to take a look at my favorite poem, The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock by TS Eliot. A particular passage always calms me down when I am feeling chaotic, mostly because it just feels so human:

And indeed there will be time
For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,
Rubbing its back upon the window-panes; 25
There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate; 30
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

We have an exam on Monday, and I am torn between swatching my new *birthday yarn* from Erin, knitting some baby things for a classmate, and studying. Obviously, my choice appears to be playing with knitting blogs! It's a good thing I never subscribe to being truly efficient... :-)

4 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I want to see what you do with the BIRTHDAY YARN! :) I'm getting excited about the Expo!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Abi said...

I swatched the new yarn last night on #2's, and it turns out that I will have to use 1's. Darn loose knitting! The colors are phenominal!

I am almost done with a baby sock, too! Too bad I didn't get any studying done.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Liisa said...

I was so taken by that passage of the poem chosen by you, because I needed calming down. Mom was taken to hospital at the beginning of the week. She is at home now, but not well. I hope you donĀ“t mind my quoting the same passage in my blog.

By the way, are you allowed to knit during the classes? Just wondering...

Your exam will go fine!dbsiyn

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A long, long time ago, those were probably my favorite lines in the history of poetry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home