Northwest Knitter

Hi! I am am a 4th year medical student, sailor, and knitter in Seattle, WA. If all goes as planned, knitting and playing with boats will keep me sane while in school! Recently, I have gotten woo'ed by "going green" and am doing my best to improve and consume/waste less...

Friday, May 12, 2006

empathy

They teach us a lot about empathy in school: why we should have it, how we should express it, when is it professionally useful, how to restrain it so as to not be overwhelmed... Well, I believe in learning by doing. So, we're studying viruses -- what's a girl to do to work on her empathy? Why, get sick, of course!!

Sarcasm aside, this is the WRONG time of year to get a nasty cold. The exams come hard and fast this time of year, with two next week, one the week after, and then finals the week after that. It's pretty hard to study when I can only breathe well enough to eat popsicles and watch "That 70's Show" on TV all night. (Did I mention that you can watch "That 70's Show" for 4 hours straight if you have cable?!) I couldn't even really knit.

There is one other benefit to being sick -- my classmates had all kinds of interesting things to look at during physical exam class! "Wow, look -- a real, live, enlarged lymph node! And goodness, what fine tonsils you have!"

And the best one, "Hey, can YOU feel her liver? Tell us if this hurts too much..."

At least I don't have a prostate.

***********************************
The high point of next week will definately be dying yarn for the Dye-o-Rama with Erin! I am looking forward to coming up with some beautiful sock yarn for my secret pal using Erin's new-found acid dyeing skills. I just need to think of some other great Pacific Northwest treats to send along to my East Coast pal... I just don't think packing up a salmon with the yarn is a good idea...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home